“Work Hard, Be Polite, Smile Lots.”
Dear Parents / Annwyl Rhieni,
Welcome to Year 5. Croeso i Blwyddyn 5.
Our aim in Year 5 is to develop independence – it is important that children take a lead of their own learning as this develops progress and target awareness. In Year 5 we build on what has been previously taught and develop Literacy, Numeracy and Digital skills across the curriculum.
We are embarking on an exciting year as our curriculum is changing. The new curriculum will have more emphasis on equipping young people for life. It will build their ability to learn new skills and apply their subject knowledge more positively and creatively. As the world changes, they will be more able to adapt positively.
They will also get a deep understanding of how to thrive in an increasingly digital world. A new digital competence framework is now introducing digital skills across the curriculum, preparing them for the opportunities and risks that an online world presents.
Our topics for this year are:
Celts and Romans – History (Autumn)
Africa – Geography (Spring)
Thrills and Spills – Science (Summer)
Mondays – Mr Humphreys
Friday – Spelling (new spelling words to be given, test the following week)
Friday – Maths homework (will build on what has been taught during the week – active learn games)
Mental Maths Homework Books to be completed for marking every Friday.
Times table recall – TT Rock stars
- Children are taught about their Welsh heritage
- Children are taught incidental Welsh (commands in Welsh in every lesson)
- Emphasis on developing knowledge of the Welsh language as we work towards achieving our Siarter Iaith Bronze Award
How can you help?
- The best help is interest taken in learning and progress.
- Supporting homework.
- Good communication between the school and home.
- Getting a good sleep on a school night!
- Parent Evenings – One in autumn term and one in spring term.
- Keep up to date on school blog at www.pontlliwprimary.co.uk
Thank you for your continued support. If you have any questions please pop in before of after school. We hope your child enjoys their year in Year 5.