“Work Hard, Be Polite, Smile Lots.”
Dear Parents / Annwyl Rhieni,
Welcome to Year 5. Croeso i Blwyddyn 5.
Our aim in Year 5 is to develop independence – it is important that children take a lead of their own learning and understand how and where to access information.
In Year 5 we build on what has been previously taught and develop Literacy, Numeracy and Digital skills across the curriculum.
We are embarking on an exciting year as our curriculum is changing. The new curriculum will have more emphasis on equipping young people for life. It will build their ability to learn new skills and apply their subject knowledge more positively and creatively. As the world changes, they will be more able to adapt positively.
They will also get a deep understanding of how to thrive in an increasingly digital world. A new digital competence framework is now introducing digital skills across the curriculum, preparing them for the opportunities and risks that an online world presents.
Our Big Questions for this year are:
Would you rather be a Celt or a Roman? – History (Autumn)
Would you like to live in Africa? – Geography (Spring)
What is the most important force? – Science (Summer)
Tuesday (Indoor) and Thursday (Outdoor)
We normally start with swimming but obviously this is subject to restrictions in Septmember. I will keep you updated.
Friday – Spelling (new spelling words to be given, test the following week)
Friday – Maths homework (will build on what has been taught during the week – active learn games)
Mental Maths Homework Books to be completed for marking every Friday.
Times table recall – TT Rock stars
- Children are taught about their Welsh heritage
- Children are taught incidental Welsh (commands in Welsh in every lesson)
- Emphasis on developing knowledge of the Welsh language as we work towards achieving our Siarter Iaith Silver Award
How can you help?
- Ensuring homework is completed by Friday – it forms part of the lesson on a Friday morning.
- Supporting reading by asking questions about what your child has read.
- Good communication between the school and home.
- Getting a good sleep on a school night!
- Parent Evenings – One in autumn term and one in spring term.
- Keep up to date on school blog at www.pontlliwprimary.co.uk
If you have any questions or concerns please pop in before of after school – 1 stitch in time saves 9!