The new, inclusive, broad, balanced and challenging curriculum gives schools and practitioners more responsibility for determining what is taught. This responsibility sits within a curriculum that comprises:
- common Areas of Learning and Experience (AoLEs) from ages 3 to 16
- progression reference points at ages 5, 8, 11, 14 and 16
- achievement outcomes which describe expected achievements at each progression reference point
- three cross-curriculum repsonsibilities – literacy, numeracy and digital competence
The new curriculum sets the parameters for each AoLE. These are:
- Expressive arts
- Health and well-being
- Languages, literacy and communication
- Mathematics and numeracy
- Science and technology.
Each AoLE includes, where appropriate, a Welsh dimension as well as an international and UK perspective. Schools are be able to use the AoLEs to determine their own curriculum and how it should be organised.