“Always remember. You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.”
Dear Parents / Annwyl Rhieni,
Aims of Year 6
- Participation & social skills
- Prepare the children for the end of key stage assessments.
- Prepare them for a smooth transfer to secondary school.
- To help the children to gain more independence.
- For a fun and enjoyable final year!
Autumn term – Doodlebugs and Dictators
Trip – Borfa House
Art Project – Bells of Santiago culminating in a performance at the National Waterfront Museum
Spring term – Lights, Camera, Action!
Trip – TBC
Summer term – Flight (Transition project)
Trip – TBC
- This year is all about development for the Year 6 pupils. They need to develop skills at organising their belongings and getting their homework done on time.
- They will need to take responsibility for their own learning and organisation. It is no longer just your responsibility!
- Please try and encourage your child to prepare their own equipment for school, make their packed lunch, get their homework done, read to you and ensure they have all the correct equipment for school.
- You will be helping them enormously if you let them take responsibility for their own mistakes.
- It could be a good idea to give your children additional jobs to do at home.
- Please encourage them to spend their time wisely at home – continue to save games consoles and televisions for treats when everything else is done!
- The Year 6 children are set Maths homework on Thursday. Occasionally they are set English homework on Tuesday which will normally involve the topic but this changes.
- Spelling lists are given out on a Tuesday. The previous list is tested on the same day and you will find this on the back page.
- We do expect the correct amount of time to be spent on homework and for it to be high quality. Children will be asked to do it again if it is not of the correct standard and may miss part of break times as a sanction for this.
- This is all good practise for Pontarddulais Comprehensive School.
- Ensure your child reads every night.
20 minutes aloud every day is the ideal!
- Encourage them to read fiction and non-fiction.
- Try to listen to your child read and ask them questions about the text.
- Help them with the different skills of reading especially ‘skim’ reading where they are looking for key words in the text.
- Speed reading
- Reading homework – comprehension.
- Again, reading a variety of texts – the more children read, the more familiar they become with different text types
- Reading homework – text analysis
- Writing homework – sentence structure
- Spelling – spelling lists / rules every week
- Grammar and punctuation homework
- Times tables must be known up to at least 12 x 12
- Estimating, weighing, measuring are all good to discuss and do practically. Must use metric measures.
- Money – using it in the shops, working out change, adding up bills, questions e.g. if 1 bag of sugar costs 56p, how many will 7 cost?
- Mental addition, subtraction, multiplication & division
- Reading and writing numbers to 100 000
- Doubling and halving, including decimals
- Solving number puzzles e.g. Sudoko
- Children are taught about their Welsh heritage
- Children are taught incidental Welsh (commands in Welsh in every lesson)
- Emphasis on developing knowledge of the Welsh language as we work towards achieving our Siarter Iaith Bronze Award
How can you help?
- The best help is interest taken in learning and progress.
- Supporting homework.
- Good communication between the school and home.
- Getting a good sleep on a school night!
Year 6 Transition Process
- Discussions held with head of year 7, SENCO and nurse after Easter.
- MAT visits during year for ICT and Art
- Opportunities for visits to cook and see Christmas production.
- CATs testing in June
- Transition week spent in
Pontarddulais Comp to experience new school.
- IMPORTANT – Application is online (see Swansea City and County website for details)
- PE – Tuesday and Thursday (Swimming on Tuesday morning, late autumn term)
- Parent Evenings – One in autumn term and one in spring term.
- Keep up to date on school blog at www.pontlliwprimary.co.uk
- Sign up to Parent Mail
Thank you for your continued support. If you have any questions please pop in before of after school. We hope your child enjoys their year in Year 6.
- Safety Soldiers Meeting
This week the Safety Soldiers pupil voice group worked on gathering ideas for improving road safety outside our school. The children discussed the issues and how unsafe parking affects different people. They came up with some fantastic ways to improve road safety, and will be working on them in the coming weeks.
- Magical Maths Team!
Congratulations to our ‘Maths Magic’ team, who took part in our cluster Maths event in Pontardulais Comprehensive. Each team played their heart out, and showed that Pontlliw has great Mathematical skills. All of our year groups showed great team spirit and encouraged each other to do best they could. Our Year 5/6 team got though […]
- Faraday Engineers
Year 6 have had a very challenging day today. They became engineers for the day and had the fulfil a STEM workshop to design and make an aeroplane and a transporter. Each member of the group had a role and each group were given 140 Faradays to buy the materials to make the plane and […]
- Cacen Cymraeg
Our after school Welsh club is a real hit. Lead by our Cymraeg Cwl pupils, each week is planned for and caters for a variety of different Welsh language patterns and activities. This week pupils decorated cakes in the colours of the Welsh flag, ensuring they ask for the ingredients in Welsh. Da iawn, dal […]
- These Girls Can
Today was a another proud day for Pontlliw. Our Year 6 and Year 4 all girls teams played at Play Football and were absolutely AMAZING. They played with a 100% determination and dedication. They played as a team showing encouragement and support. Da iawn merched.
- American Skype call to a WW2 museum
This afternoon, Year 6 received a Skype call from New Orleans in America. We had the opportunity to look around a WW2 museum and saw weapons, vehicles and learnt about the history of how America played a part in the war.
- The Rugby Team’s First Game
What an amazing effort by our rugby team in their first ever game! They lost 6 tries to 3 to a very good St Joseph’s team. They should all be very proud. We have another 2 games next Tuesday at Cwm Level Park against Plasmarl and Clwyd!
- Champione Champione Ole Ole Ole 🏆 ⚽️
A huge congratulations to the football team, who won the Swansea Football Tournament. They will now progress to a West Wales Tournament where the winners will go on to Villa Park! All the children played amazingly well and were great sportsmen. They did themselves and the school proud.
- Show and Tell WW2
Thank you to our Governor, Mr R Heath, who gave up his time to share his story on how WW2 effected his family history. It was an excellent,informative presentation related to our World War 2 topic. Diolch
- Beware, beware…the Germans are there!
As part of our World War 2 topic, Year 6 experienced working in class during an air raid. Pupils were in a middle of promoting world peace when the siren was heard. Everyone rushed under the desks while the classroom was thrown into darkness and silence! Pupils remained working under their tables until it was […]
- Coding Challenge
Today Year 6 were set the challenge to code the theme tune to Star Wars using micro:bits. They can use the coding website at home…why not ask them to show you…I can guarantee you that you will be impressed!
- Borfa Day 4
Today we have been rock climbing, rock hopping, absailing and for a beautiful walk along the cliffs of Port Eynon. The children are now getting ready for a Borfa’s got talent. In the morning we are off to the shop and making our way home at 12:30. The children have had an amazing week and […]
- Borfa Day 3
[sorry blog is late, only now sat down – photo overload) Today has been a mega busy day… started with a fully cooked breakfast, a trip to Mill Wood, den building, team building games, lighting fires, making and baking bread, cutting wood and calving sticks to make wands! We came back to the center in […]
- Having Fun in ‘Fun Club’.
We have been having lots of fun in ‘Fun Club’. Our activities include: cooking, painting, crafts, football, iPads and Crome books, board games, and music and dancing. Just have a look at the photos to see how much fun we have.
- Singing at Sunset
What an absolutely stunning night we’ve had, singing songs around the camp fire, roasting marshmallows and admiring the sunset.
- Body boarding and orienteering Group 2
The children have had yet another successful day and have achieved so much. They’ve thoroughly enjoyed bodyboarding and orienteering. Chicken dinner for tea then a camp fire and marshmallows on the beach under the starts.
- Bodyboarding and Orienteering Group 1
The children have had yet another successful day and have achieved so much. They’ve thoroughly enjoyed bodyboarding and orienteering. Curry and chips for tea then a camp fire and marshmallows on the beach under the starts.
- Bore Da From Borfa
We survived our first night … the children are currently having breakfast (cereal, toast and a cooked breakfast) . We have bodyboarding and orienteering to look forward to today.
- Borfa House Day 1
We have had a successful day at Borfa House. Today we have been to the beach for a treasure hunt, a walk to the Salthouse and an adventure through the woods. It’s been a beautiful day, the children have showered, had tea and are making plans for a pyjama party later on.
- Borfa House takeover!
Blwyddyn Chwech have arrived in Borfa and have already had lunch! They’ve sorted their rooms and are excitedly gearing up for an afternoon of activities exploring the area.
- Pel-droed Merched Yr Urdd
Pob lwc i Merched blwyddyn 6.
- We are the Champions 🏆🥇➕➖➗✖️
After an intense week of competition, I’m extremely pleased to reveal that Year 5 have won the Swansea Sumdog Competition! It was a fantastic effort by all the pupils and they should be very proud of winning such a hotly contested competition. Well done to the 4 pupils from Year 5 and 6 who finished […]
- Clwb Rygbi Pontlliw! 🏉
A massive thank you to Technical Care Soultions for delivering our brand new rugby kit today! Their website is http://www.technicalcaresolutions.co.uk. Technical Care Solutions are a local business that specialise in providing preventative maintenance, repairs and service for patient lifting and other care equipment. The children were over the moon with their brand new kit and wore […]
- Book Fair Success!
A huge ‘Thank You’ to everybody who supported our Scholastic book fair this week. The total spent was £789.30, which means we will receive 60% commission on all purchases! This works out as £473.58 which we can spend on purchasing new reading material for the children. Diolch yn fawr everybody. Your support is greatly appreciated!
- Ser Yr Wythnos
Llongyfarchiadau to our 🤩 this week