Eco Warriors 23-24!
Our purpose is to raise awareness of environmental issues in our school and local area.
- To begin the session we looked at a small educational video on recycling.
- Pupils discussed the areas of development for the year; the pupils were keen on re-visiting the action of recycling as they feel that it is a problem within the school. They felt that they see a lot of plastic – we discussed the effectiveness of the bins we have, and the next steps for recycling as all classes have the appropriate bins.
- We discussed the possibility of becoming involved in the Rags 2 Riches scheme this year, as it has been successful in the past.
- The pupils felt that the first step would be a data collection of the bins around the school and would there be a need for any further bins for the outdoors.
- Data collection of the bins in the outdoors was taken by the groups of children a tally was made and the results produced.
- The children discussed that in some areas: e.g. near the Llanerch gate, the stage area and towards the back of the junior yard there were no bins available for the children to use. We discussed that there are a lot in the remainder of the yard, but they felt that pupils can be lazy and drop their litter because they ‘cant be bothered’ to find a bin.
- The pupils however felt that the Infant areas had sufficient bins.
- Pupils have decided they would like to focus on recycling bins.
- Y6 would like to hold an assembly to explain what each bin is used for.
- They have emailed Mrs Norman to request.
- Suggestion for eco monitors on a rota basis.
- Ideas from pupils:
- Use different languages on bins such as Welsh and French (CE)
- Put posters around the school to remind children how to use the bins (MO)
- Speech bubbles on bins e.g ‘I like eating fruit waste’ etc.
- Email Swansea Council to ask for extra litter picking equipment (LT)
- MO showed the children a bird feeder that a parent had made for the school. They will decide by next time where to place it.
- The group continued to produce the posters for recycling.
- Year 6 presented an idea for a further action for the summer term.
- They would like to develop a garden both for bees and for some self-sufficient growing.
- They have already written letters to some garden centres and have been sent seeds.
- Discussed having an after school Eco club or lunchtime.
- All posters for Recycling completed.